1) Get all of your paper work in order as soon as you can i.e. visa application forms and the info that goes with it basically once you have confirmation get going on it.
2) Make sure you have sought approval from the school board and a letter of writing gets to them stating your intentions etc.
3) Bring as many resources with you on flash drive, as you never know what will be available when you get there.
4) Save lots of money; everything will run you approximately 25% higher give or take the exchange rate.
5) Save all your receipts you can use them next year to claim travel expenses for the following year. (have heard conflicting information about this – if anyone has experience and details, would love to hear it!)
6) travel light if you can depending on where you are located. We brought way too many clothes, bring your favourites leave the rest at home.
7) I highly recommend breaking up the trip by spending a few days somewhere along the way.